Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Week 8: Nonfiction

Assignment 3
4 Types of Nonfiction Genres:
Memoirs Call # BIO
You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day
Travel/Adventure Call # 912-920
I combined these genres only because I think a lot of the books I have read in Travel can also be called Adventure.  Two examples include A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson and Wild by Cheryl Strayed.
Food Call # 640-641
Yes, Chef by Marcus Samuelsson
Disaster/Survival Call # 796
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
All of the above titles I would recommend myself.  I have found that I actually enjoy narrative nonfiction and it can be a nice break between fiction titles.
Assignment 4
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
I have a huge soft spot for hiking non-fiction and A Walk in the Woods is always a staple I like to put on our Staff Recommends display.  Funny and engaging yet adventurous, there is something in here for everyone.  It'll have you laughing from the first page as Bill Bryson and his totally ill-prepared buddy take on the daunting task of hiking the Appalachian trail.
Anyone who enjoys humor, travel, and the outdoors will enjoy this book!  Just recently, it was also made in a movie starring Robert Redford, which spiked some popularity in the book.  If you do enjoy this book, you can then move onto reading Bryson's other books, which are also excellent.

You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day
This is a very new book and I just finished listening to the audio myself.  I've been a fan of Felicia's work for years and picked this audiobook up on a whim.  I love that she narrated it herself and I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I initially thought I would.  While somewhat of an internet sensation/celebrity in the nerd world, Felicia Day very humbly relates her climb to success and comes off as someone very down to earth and relatable.  While relating her very quirky childhood, Felicia became someone I could see a lot of myself in.
I'd give this to any fellow nerd girls out there, or if you have a reader who enjoys books such as those by Ernest Cline of the Ready Player One fame.  I actually did recommend this just the other day to a girl of around my age who came to the desk looking for recommendations.  She seemed really excited about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment